I’m sure you want your date to have fun and you want to have fun, too! You want to ensure that the conversation is interesting and stimulating to both of you. After all, dates should be a relaxed and fun way to get to know someone.
Body language always speaks first in any conversation. When you are confident your body relaxes, becomes more open, you lean in, you smile, and you become more animated. When you are tense or not at ease with yourself, you will be sitting back, crossing your legs, maybe your arms, your mouth will barely break a smile, and your eyes will be searching elsewhere in the room. So before the conversation even starts, remember to convey confidence with your body language.
Your verbal dating conversation skills will largely be judged on how able you are to create a conversation that your partner enjoys. Ultimately, that leads to you getting more dates. If you’re thinking this is obvious, yes it is! The question is HOW to create an interesting conversation.
Your dating conversation will be made up of you both asking and answering questions. If you ask the right questions, your partner is going to have fun. If you ask the wrong questions, you probably won’t see them again. If you are evasive or less than honest when answering questions, they will probably ditch you even faster.
Questions are powerful.
Here are some conversation starter question ideas for your first date:
- What do you love to do in your spare time?
- What do you particularly enjoy about that?
- What do you do for a living?
- If you could go on a fantasy holiday, anywhere in the world, where would it be and what would you do?
- Tell me about your family – do you have children, siblings, pets?
- Do you enjoy watching TV, Netflix, Youtube? What sort of programs do you like?
- Who are the special people in your life?
- If you could choose a superpower, which one would it be? (this tells you about a person’s values).
- What’s the worst date that you’ve been on?
- If you could take me anywhere, where would we go?
- Do you like romance? What feels romantic to you?
- Would you ever jump out of a plane?
- Have you traveled much? Where to? Tell me about it.
- Do you have any celebrity crushes? (If yes, then who?)
- Are there any skills that you’ve always wanted to learn?
- Which of the 5 love languages do you most relate to?
- What are you good at?
- What makes you happy?
- How much alone time do you feel you need?
- If money was not an issue, what you would you do with your life?
- What’s your greatest passion?
- Where did you spend your childhood?
- What’s the most daring thing that you’ve ever done?
- Tell me about your parents. Are you close to them?
- (If the person is older) Tell me about your kids.
By asking these questions you will gain greater insight into your date while at the same time, having the opportunity to observe how they think and express themselves, their mannerisms, their values, and other ‘little things’ that will help you to decide whether you can see yourself with them, or not.