When it comes to the subject of narcissistic behavior patterns, men are the ones who are most commonly identified as the perpetrators while women are their victims. But although it is less common, there are also women with narcissistic traits – and they have their own unique set of identifiable behavior patterns.
So if you’re a single man who is looking for a happy and lasting relationship then it might be a good idea to take note and know who to avoid. It may save you a lot of grief and confusion.
We’d like to share the following information from our friends at HookingUpSmart. The author of this article incidentally, is a woman.
How to Identify a Female Narcissist
- She dresses provocatively, flaunting sexually suggestive body parts.
- She focuses attention on makeup and hair, even for the most mundane tasks or events.
- She is overly confident about her looks. Research shows that narcissists are no more attractive than other people, but they believe they are much better looking than other women.
- She places high value on brand names, and feels entitled to wear “the best.” She frequently purchases new clothing, and does not distinguish between wants and needs.
- She is more likely to have plastic surgery, most commonly breast augmentation.
- She enjoys being photographed, and often asks others to snap her picture. She enthusiastically shares the best pics of herself on Facebook or other social media sites. She will sometimes invest in a professional photographer for a portrait that she uses on Facebook or for online dating.
- She insists on being the center of attention and is often the most charming person in the room. Narcissists are very outgoing and excel at marketing themselves.
- She often seeks favorable treatment and automatic compliance. She believes that she is special and that she deserves fame, fortune, success, and happiness.
- She can be highly materialistic.
- She is prone to envy, though she presents as supremely confident. She seeks opportunities to undermine others and enjoys sharing confidences about how the two of you are better than others.
- She is convinced that others are envious and jealous of her and often uses this excuse for her lack of real, intimate friendships. When her friends enjoy successes of their own, she finds ways to punish them by downplaying their achievements.
- She lacks empathy and even common courtesy at times unless it suits some agenda. She puts others down, including you. She does not hesitate to exploit others.
- She is very competitive.
- She believes that she is intellectually superior to her peers.
- She blames others for problems. Narcissists don’t believe that they make mistakes, and lack the ability to process shame.
- She displays a haughty attitude when she lets her guard down or is confronted. She will act impatient, arrogant, and condescending. She will often excuse her own shortcomings by claiming that others are pressuring her or expecting too much of her.
- She is dishonest and often lies to get what she wants. She will never admit this.
- She can go “psycho:” She engages in risky behaviors, has an addictive personality, and is prone to aggressive behavior when rejected. (Note: This is most common with Histrionic Personality Disorder.)
- She is unpredictable in her moods and actions. You have trouble figuring out what she wants and where you stand.
- She is capable of short-term regret and will apologize profusely if backed into a corner. However, she will quickly rationalize her behavior and return to narcissistic patterns.
- She is generally over-sensitive to criticism or ‘straight talk’ and being incapable of acknowledging any inappropriate behavior on her own part, will try to deflect the ‘real problem’ back to the way that you’ve reacted to it.
A woman doesn’t need to have all 20 of these traits to make a lousy relationship partner. If you can check off even a few of these characteristics, you should head for the hills at 60 mph. The six traits related to physical appearance should be apparent immediately or within a short time of meeting.
Narcissistic personality traits can be difficult to detect at first. Narcissists always make a strong showing right out of the gate, and it takes time for them to reveal their negative qualities. They will only do so when feeling threatened or that they are not receiving “their due” in some way.
Based on the women of all ages I have known in my life, I think 10% is an accurate estimate of the number of narcissists in the female population. That’s a lot of women who could make you miserable if you’re not careful.
Please don’t date one. I beg you not to fall in love with one. And never, ever marry one.